Monday, January 7, 2013

Massage: Pain or Gain?

This ancient art of touch has long been known to have therapeutic effects on our emotional wellbeing. Other than a stress reliever, massage can reduce hypertension, promote blood circulation and even beat away the unwanted fats! Do keep in mind, there is certain amount of pressure that has to be applied to make it work. Nevertheless, we still enjoy body massage for its rejuvenating effect. Makes me want to go for one right now…

My first body massage was one of the most nostalgic experiences I have before I was about to get married. Situated at a quiet and sanctuary corner of Yishun Safra, I was greeted with a strong sense of ylang ylang aromatic essential oil diffusion. What was most memorable was the body massage. The masseur applied the weakest yet firm pressure upon my shoulder to my lower body. The feeling was sensational, however I was quite sore at the end of the session because the lady was still exerting a fair bit of pressure when massaging the body.

My second massage was to get back into shape when I delivered my baby one week later. A Malay Jamu, came, to my house and performed a post-natal massage. This time is no fun. It is all about pain. All the pushing and rubbing of my belly to get rid of all the clotted blood and toxin were painful. Ouch! Imagine the weight of the human resting upon your fragile weak tummy especially after birth. But my tummy managed to lose a bit perhaps an inch with the helping hand of the Jamu. The overall experience is still acceptable but seriously painful. If massage is done regularly and practiced correctly, weight loss is definitely achievable.

My third massage was commenced by the masseur at the slimming center. Combination of fingers and tools are used to ensure user have the best of both world experience. The beating, squeezing and pushing of the fatty layers made you just want to cry out aloud. Though such massage method is not as painful as a foot massage, but still a sore experience. Definitely, no pain, no gain… I can feel my fats being tightened and perhaps some parts of the body firmer. Such treatment are expensive as you do need to sign up a package with slimming centers to enjoy the beating away.

What is so important about massage?

In a research conducted by the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, blood tests were conducted on 53 healthy adults who received one of two types of touch treatments. The results revealed that those who had a Swedish massage with moderate pressure experienced decreases in stress hormones while increases in white blood cells. Even the immunity system has a great boost. If you tend to get sick easily especially a flu, try massage regularly to keep that virus at bay.

Meanwhile volunteers who had a "light touch" treatment showed higher levels of oxytocin, a hormone that promotes bonding. Based on the findings, Mark Rapaport, the chairman, believes that massage might be effective in treating inflammatory and autoimmune conditions. That accounts for the growing popularity in athletes going for massage after vigorous exercise  to minimize injuiries.


The simplest cure may lie in just a simple touch. Why not give it a shot since it offers so many benefits.

We shall deal with some techniques of massage for the body in my next article.

No comments:

Post a Comment